[uf-discuss] hCite elevator pitch and my bibliography generator

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sat Mar 10 11:46:15 PST 2007

I needed a .bib-based bibliography generator for XHTML, so I wrote
one with help from a friend who had developed a .bib parser. The
output of my generator can be seen at
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/html5-conformance-checker.xhtml#references

I've wrapped the values of .bib fields in elements whose class name
is the .bib field name. I did it just in case. I don't have any
consumer use case for those class names. It was just super-easy to
generate them.

My use case (publishing an academic paper with a bibliography) is not
mentioned as a use case at
http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming . More to the
point, the wiki has no consumer use case for my publication use case.

Does this mean that hCite is not for me at all?

If hCite is for me, what's the elevator pitch convincing me to put
more effort into my generator? What benefits should I expect if I do?
Is hCite mature enough to be implemented yet?

Moreover, is it even possible to generate hCite from my source data
(http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/dippa.bib) without sacrificing the
presentation that I want and without potentially generating bogus
markup for personal names? For example, my source data does not
encode explicitly the given name, the family name and other stuff
that isn't quite neither. As far as I can tell, it is impossible to
tell heuristically that the middle token in these two names is
semantically different:
Gavin Thomas Nicol
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen

--