[uf-discuss] hCard email & type properties

Paul Wilkins pmw57 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 11 19:21:43 PST 2007

From: "Mike Kaply" <microformats at kaply.com>
> On 3/11/07, Kim Franch <romakimmy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   <abbr class="email" title="random at foo.com">
>>   </abbr>
>> </a>
>
> This markup is incorrect. title can only be used with an abbr - the
> title on a span wont work.

Also, if it's email or uri, it will automatically be internet, and if it's
the only one of its type there, then you have no preferance (pref) as it's
the only possible choice.

> Why aren't you just using a mailto?

I suspect because he wants people to be directed to a page where they can
get in touch, instead.

>>   <abbr class="url" title="www.foo.com">FooBar Webpage</abbr>
>> </a>
>
> This works for me in the the current operator. I don't understand why
> you are using this pattern though? Why not just have a anchor that
> points to the web page?

Perhaps he wants to be a sneaky bastard (tm) and take people to a different
version of the website (perhaps a wrapper) while allowing the real website
name to be used by people and tools too.

--
Paul Wilkins