[uf-discuss] Logging information

LuigiG news4e71 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 13:40:14 PST 2007

Thank you guys.
hCalendar and hAtom seem pretty close to what I'm
looking for.
The idea is, basically, to provide:
a) structured embedding of log information in web
based monitoring tools. (rather than just "a lump of
text")
b) exposal of a log as a set of RSS feeds, one for
each severity threshold (e.g. anything from WARN up)
which could be subscribed to by both "human targeted"
readers and other types of tools, such as SMS alert
bots or report generators (hence the value of log
metadata).

So the two formats look very interesting.

We also have an app that generates a hierarchical log
(currently viewable via a custom tree-view gui), so I
need to figure out whether nesting is possible/legal
in hClendar or hAtom.

Tentative (very tentative) example:

<ul class="vcalendar">
  <li class="vevent">
dtend">2007-03-03.13:43:21</span> <span
class="summary">INFO</span>
    <ul class="vcalendar">
     <li class="vevent">
dtend">2007-03-03.13:43:30</span> <span
class="summary">DEBUG</span>
FILE1.DAT</span>
     </li>
     <li class="vevent">
dtend">2007-03-03.13:43:38</span> <span
class="summary">DEBUG</span>
FILE2.DAT</span>
     </li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

The alternative would be to flatten the structure,
(kind of a left outer join), but that's not my
favorite solution.

Thanks again,

Luigi