[uf-discuss] An Inconvenient hCard

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Mar 22 03:27:05 PST 2007

In message <008801c76c3b$3f0941b0$bc08a8c0 at nzto22>, Paul Wilkins
<paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz> writes

>>>   <abbr class="type" title="fax">Téléc</abbr>.:

>> This thread is going in circles, On 12 March, I wrote, having suggested
>> the same possibility, that:
>>        ...there are concerns that that's an abuse of "abbr".
>I think that abuse is too strong a term for what's happening here.
>There is historical evidence that in the case of microformats, such a
>thing is allowed.

1) Please cite "historical evidence" of *different-language* abbr
content and titles being used.

2) That an HTML element is being used in a particular way "in the case
of microformats" does not mean that it is not an abuse of what was
originally intended by the relevant HTML standard.

Andy Mabbett

                     Welcome to the world's longest week!