[uf-discuss] Hatom or hcalendar?

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Fri Mar 23 04:09:38 PST 2007

Chris asked:
> Question: would you mark up Twitter statuses with hatom or hcalendar?
>
> The reason I ask is that Jeremy Keith's lifestream uses hcalendar --
> and that statuses have either a title or content, but not both --
> whereas the status itself could be consider the hcalendar summary...

This is a really good question. My first thought was "Yeah, why
*didn't* I use hAtom?" After all, there's nothing to stop me using
both hCalendar and hAtom...

So I started editing the template and I hit a snag: I don't have an
author listed for each entry. Author is required for hAtom. Now, I
could just put a single hCard somewhere within the hAtom feed and
that would solve the problem:

 From http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom:
"If the Entry Author is missing, find the Nearest In Parent <address>
element(s) with class name author and that is/are a valid hCard"

But I'm not publishing an <address> already and isn't the whole idea
of microformats that we don't change *what* we're publishing, just
add more meaning to what we're already publishing?

Of course, I can go ahead and add the hAtom classes anyway:
http://lifestream.adactio.com/

But that's not a valid hAtom feed.

I have to say that I find it a little weird that author is required
but entry-title is not. Looking at the Atom spec, "title" is a
required feed element and "author" is recommended. For hAtom, that's
been inverted:

http://atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/#requiredFeedElements

This has probably been discussed before, right? If anybody has some
URLs pointing to previous discussions of this issue, that'd be much
appreciated.

Bye,

Jeremy

--