hCard creator and multitoken given/family names (was: Re: [uf-discuss] hCite elevator pitch and my bibliography generator)

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Mar 28 08:47:11 PST 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 14:22, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> Currently the formatted names are accepted in the following formats
>
> given-name (space) family-name
> family-name (comma) given-name
> family-name (comma) given-name-first-initial
> family-name (space) given-name-first-initial (optional period)

Then it appears that hCard creator (http://microformats.org/code/
hcard/creator) is broken.

If I enter "Jesus Maria" as the given name and "van der Boer y
Gonzales" as the family name, I get:

I'd be interested in a design rationale pointer explaining why having
more than two tokens in an fn is not allowed when the information
about the roles of the tokens is unavailable to the producer of the
markup. Is this something that has been inherited wholesale from vCard?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/