[uf-discuss] Re: namespaces discussions off-topic

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue May 1 08:25:30 PDT 2007

On 5/1/07 1:46 AM, "Tim Parkin" <tim at pollenation.net> wrote:

> Ian Davis wrote:
>> On 01/05/2007 07:26, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>> It's been tried by numerous groups, before microformats, and after.  It's
>>> even been tried in the context of RSS and RDF, and in practice people
>>> write
>>> scrapers that look for namespace prefixes as if they are part of the
>>> element
>>> name, not as mere shorthands for namespace URIs.
>>
>> Isn't this a narrow view of namespaces, i.e. the XML viewpoint. There
>> are many types of non-URI/QName namespacing mechanisms such as Java
>> package name conventions, Perl module conventions etc. Are those
>> offtopic too?
>>

> It would help to clarify the wiki page on namespacing as it seems to
> cover xml formal namespaces rather than namespacing by convention (to
> avoid name collision - my worry with the classnames like 'logo' for
> instance). I'm only an mf newb but I'm hoping my perspective may be useful.

It's not just formal XML namespacing, but rather any namespacing of content.

However, there is a differnce between a *code* class of logo, and a
*content* HTML class name of logo.

I've added a sentence to the top of namespaces-considered-harmful to point
out the distinction of content vs. code.

Tantek