Fwd: [uf-discuss] Legal implications of using Microformats

Stephanie Hobson sjhobson at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:12:10 PDT 2007

> Brian Suda wrote:
>
> What kind of copyright or licensing things are involved with microformats?
>
> I would have thought that there were none, as microformats are just an
> advisory on how to markup text.

My thoughts exactly.

Are Microformats not just semantic CSS and HTML?  I have trouble
believing that could be patented at all (not that I know anything
about patents).

The controversy around Ajax might be a useful comparison for this.
Does anyone know the outcomes of attempts to patent it?

-Stephanie.