[uf-discuss] Expanding the abbr pattern

Ben Buchanan microformats at 200ok.com.au
Wed May 2 18:45:59 PDT 2007

> So, I started this response thinking "How does a full-string timestamp /not/ disambiguate a March 2 date in the following?"

My answer is: by not being human-readable :) The example in the
original post shows the problem:

<abbr class="dtstart" title="20070312T1700-06">
 March 12, 2007 at 5 PM, Central Standard Time
</abbr>

When vocalised, that title is less useful than the text it potentially
replaces (screen readers may read just the text, just the title or
both).

Perhaps I should have said "effective disambiguation, for all human users".

At any rate, I think the main problem was referring to different
examples - in yours, the shorter date probably would make sense to all
users and yes it disambiguates. The datestamp in the microformat
however, does not disambiguate for humans.

...and I think I've used up my quota for "disambiguate", so I'll end there ;)

cheers,
Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not