[uf-discuss] human readable date parsing

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Wed May 2 23:21:21 PDT 2007

> iso date isn't necessarily required when someone enters a date (i.e.
> saying 24th June doesn't translate into a single date, neither does
> 'thursday'). Shouldn't the focus be on trying to standardise date

I'm normally all for liberalness in parsing but NOT when the intended
meaning becomes ambiguous.

I do not think we should encourage people to leave off the year unless it is
absolutely necessary
(such as for a recurring event and in that case it should be marked up in a
way so that the intention  is clear - rrule, etc)

- otherwise how do we know if the author intended "24th June" to mean "24th
June 2007" or "24th June 2006" or "the next occurrence of 24th June" (from
what date?) or "24th June every year"?

I have dabbled in trying to extract human-readable dates from rss feeds and
this type of ambiguity is such a problem that I had to ignore any dates
without the year! (those entries are unusable!)