[uf-discuss] Expanding the abbr pattern

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Thu May 3 19:29:30 PDT 2007

>>         Q1 '07: <span class="dtstart">2007-01-01</span> through <abbr
>>         class="dtend" title="2007-04-02">2007-04-01</abbr>
>>
>> I have proposed a solution to this problem:
>>

>> <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-brainstorming#Simplification_of_date-end>

I do agree that such counter-intuitive things could cause a lot of people to
use it incorrectly

I think the machine-readable part should match the human-headable part in
meaning for the untrained human but I don't think a real world application
could rely on it either way unless there is something visible there to state
that it is exclusive or inclusive.

I have found with other things where start and end dates are used I just
can't trust the end date if there is only one day between them because users
WILL use them differently. (In the real world I just have to assume that
it's an event happening some time during the start date - possibly all-day -
possibly longer - more likely shorter)