[uf-discuss] human readable date parsing

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri May 4 16:08:55 PDT 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

>> I'd invite you to document the list of every possible way to
>> represent each month in plain text, and then let us know if you
>> still think reading through such a list to figure out how to
>> publish dates is easier for publishers.
>
> Maybe I've lost track of the original issue here, but: publishers
> don't need to know all variations in all languages, just the
> version in the language they're authoring, no?

Publishers need to know how to speak in a syntax parsers can
understand.  With plain text standards, that requires listing every
understood term.  In English, does the month standard use "August",
"Aug", both?  In Japanese, is it "八月", "はち月", "はちが
つ", "八がつ", "葉月", some combination of these options?
That's just one of twelve months in two of the hundreds of
languages.  I think this is clearly more complicated than ISO 8601,
for both parsers and publishers.  But if you think it can be easier,
go ahead and write up the month syntax in each language so we can all
compare the plain text standard with the current recommendation.

Peace,
Scott