[uf-discuss] a[name] as machine data?

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Thu May 10 14:23:06 PDT 2007

Just a thought:

Haven't thought too much about this, but are there any obvious
gotchas to using an anchor element with name attribute as a potential
replacement for the abbr-design-pattern? The only things I can
foresee are the plus sign (+) in pre-UTC time zones and the semicolon
(;) in GEO. Those could both be escaped though, perhaps as
underscores. It wouldn't leave as much room for growth as a full
CDATA attribute, but may be able to

<a class="dtstart" name="iso8601:20070713">July 13th</a>
<a class="geo" name="geo:30.300474_-97.747247">Austin</a>

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-cdata
...NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be
followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"),
underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").

Anyway, kick it back here if there is something obvious I'm missing.
I'm certainly not proposing it as the best solution yet, but I have
added it to the wiki and don't want to waste time with an AT test
case if I don't have to.

http://microformats.org/wiki/assistive-technology-abbr-
results#Markup_Possibilities

Cheers,