[uf-discuss] Regarding POSH and misuse of the microformats logo

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:23:18 PDT 2007

I'd rather not continue this thread any longer, but I do want to make
a few observations, and then in vite anyone who wants to continue this
discussion to note your reservations on the POSH talk page [1].

First, the pickup of microformats owes itself to a number of reasons,
not merely the hard work of this community, to which it owes a great
deal, but to the utility, as you outlined, of using microformats in
practice that map to existing standards. In the case of microformats
for which there is little prioir art or formats work, the
process-to-play is unclear. Sure, don't use presentational elements in
your markup, but what else? How do you contribute to a body of work
that may someday lead to the germination of a microformat? Basically,
what do you in between marking up your site with semantic HTML and
getting to work on existing microformats?

The POSH process [2] is an answer to this question.

So beyond just using semantic HTML, we're providing guidance and
leadership on yet another way to improve your value as a semantic web
designer and marketing it with a term that doesn't overlap with
existing lowercase semantic web evanglism.

Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding, and I already have a number
of efforts up my sleeve to make advances on this front. Given the
large interest in creating *new* microformats, we need to provide a
different kind of engagment for these folks; for me, that's the point
of POSH.

If you have more feedback, again, please contribute it to the POSH
talk [1] page.

Chris

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/Talk:posh
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/posh#The_POSH_Process