[uf-discuss] Fwd: [whatwg] Predefined classes are gone

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed May 23 00:03:09 PDT 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 11:35 PM, Ciaran McNulty wrote:

> On 5/23/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>> I find it questionable to argue that microformats.org defining
>> semantics for particular classes is generally good, but to assume
>> that W3C or WHATWG defining them is ill-conceived. Note that HTML has
>> always predefined some "rel" values, and this has not stopped
>> microformats from defining other rel values, some of which will be
>> folded back in to the HTML spec.
>
> To me the difference is that Microformats have a system for indicating
> whether they are in use (although it's not used widely) in the
> @profile mechanism,

The fact that content does not use it and data extraction tools
ignore it makes this a meaningless distinction in practice.

> whereas anything 'hard coded' into the HTML spec will not be optional.

I would once again draw the analogy to "rel".

Anyway, I think most of the predefined class names in the HTML 5 spec
were not really jusfied but I'd like to see things like the geo
microformat possibly get folded into HTML over time.

Regards,
Maciej