[uf-discuss] rel-edit

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Fri May 25 20:08:19 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-25-05 at 19:16 -0700, John Panzer wrote:

> > I'd like to start a draft rel-edit page on microformats.org; but first
> > I'd like to gather some feedback on this mailing list.
>
> Just FYI: The Atom Publishing Protocol draft spec uses <link rel="edit"
> .../> to point from a read-only representation of a resource to an
> alternative URI that allows for editing operations, and in particular
> one which is supposed to support loss-less GET/edit locally/PUT
> semantics in the case of Atom resources.

That's interesting, and I'm glad to hear about it. I think at least the
first part ("point from a read-only representation of a resource to an
> alternative URI that allows for editing operations") sounds compatible
with the proposed rel-edit semantics.

However, for most of the applications I was thinking of (wikis, CMSes,
blog software, forums, comment systems), there's not a RESTful
GET-edit-PUT flow. Instead, the editable representation is typically an
HTML form, which is POSTed.

Do you think that's a serious conflict -- an existing use of rel="edit"
that is widespread and has different semantics? Is there a danger of a
real-world clash (e.g., an Atom processor that accidentally stumbles
across a wiki page with a rel-edit link and does the wrong thing)? Do
you think the conflict is important enough to choose a different "rel"
attribute?

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at prodromou.name>