[uf-discuss] RFC: sHTML Video Thumbnailing

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Mon May 28 01:58:08 PDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 1:49 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> Hmm. I think Maciej does have a strong point about interoperability
> here. Removing the quotation punctuation with CSS does not help
> those with user-designated styles or UAs that ignore such CSS: e.g.
> text browsers and screen readers. The question to ask yourself is:
> if you could not remove the quotation punctuation and layout, would
> you still use <q> and <blockquote>? If a screen reader read (for
> example):
>
> quote Dorothy encounters the Lion end quote
>
> That would be rather strange, wouldn't it?

I dunno, I think that might be helpful. It's semantic information that
it's a portion of a larger document. Using a span tag as you suggest
provides the UA with zero semantic information. I suspect having alt
tags that just link to a video which perhaps they don't want to watch
is annoying to people with screen readers -- although I think I would
need a bit more data about how screen readers work and how they're
used to really say anything else.

-Colin