[uf-discuss] RFC: sHTML Video Thumbnailing

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Mon May 28 15:39:43 PDT 2007

James O'Donnell wrote:

> Mind you, screenreaders don't generally read out
> "quote" for the <q> tag either. Have a look at this:
> http://dotjay.co.uk/tests/screen-readers/q-element/

Well, in so far as they have any especially common behaviour for <q>,
reading "quote" at the beginning is it. Of course, whether they do
anything special for <q> depends on one's verbosity configuration, but
then everything with a screen reader does.

What skews everyone's view of <q> is that JAWS 7.1 (and probably 8 too,
but I've never been able to find someone with a licenced copy to test
that) doesn't recognize it as a quotation. But while JAWS is a very
popular screen reader, it's not as dominant in the screen reader market
as (say) Internet Explorer is in the browser world.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis