[uf-discuss] OBJECT Pattern Page Updated

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 08:29:09 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

Following on somewhat from the messages last month regarding the
OBJECT pattern I've updated the Wiki page (http://microformats.org/
wiki/include-pattern) quite substantially.

The old page was a mess, especially with the later addition of the
hyperlink include pattern. I've reorganised it to give both patterns
equal substance on the page and following the most recent, serious
OBJECT pattern issues I've moved the Hyperlink pattern above the
OBJECT pattern in the Wiki page.

• I've made the examples for both patterns consistent: They use the
same scenario now, the only difference being the use of A or OBJECT.
I hop that will make it easier to follow and compare. I've also made
the pitfalls for each pattern clear below each.

• Much of the text has been edited for what I hope is more clarity.
The voice (‘you can…’) has been neutered.
• The hyperlink pattern now acknowledges the assistive technology
implications and actively encourages inclusion of inner text in
hyperlinks.

• This update also makes the ‘replacement’ behaviour of the object
pattern clearer, which I hope addresses the issue raised on the Wiki
by Mike Kaply (regarding how to parse the pattern).

• Much emphasis is put on the scope of the include pattern being same-
page.

This is a big edit, but the page was not in a good state and this
needed doing. I ask that people take a little time to read the new
version, compare it to the old and raise any remaining issues.

Thank you,

Ben