[uf-discuss] split full names

Nick Fitzsimons nick at nickfitz.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 03:02:33 PDT 2007

On 4 Oct 2007, at 10:31, Thom Shannon wrote:

> This isn't strictly microformats related but I thought a few people
> on here might have some advice. Is there an accepted reliable way
> of dividing a full name into given name and family name?
>
> Actually I'm sure the short answer is no, but is there a least evil
> way?

Depends on which cultures you're expecting to encounter:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_name>

FWIW the majority of people in the world are named with their family
name *before* their given name, assuming that their culture's naming
convention includes those components in the first place...

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons