[uf-discuss] semantic web and microformats

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Oct 9 09:54:59 PDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Patrick Aljord wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I need to do a presentation on the semantic Web and all the articles I
> read about it talks about RDF and usually show this schema:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W3c-semantic-web-layers.svg
>
> Could anyone please tell me what's the relation between the semantic
> web and microformats, where would the microformats stands on that
> schema for example?
> Can microformats and the SW be related and in what way?

I think of microformats as an alternative path to the same ends.  You
can replace "RDF Model & Syntax" with "XHTML Model & Syntax", "XML
Query" with "HTML parsers", and "XML Schema" with "HTML Profile
URIs".  You could, by the way, also replace those with equivalent
Atom components, and other languages as well.  Each language brings
different expression capabilities, but semantics in general work
pretty much the same in any language, as GRDDL demonstrates.

Peace,
Scott