[uf-discuss] hCite nesting (citation/bibliography/collection/collections)

Jeff McNeill jeff at jeffmcneill.com
Wed Oct 17 03:32:19 PDT 2007

Aloha,

Take for example CiteSeer[1], a collection of the metadata for 767,558
documents. An example metadata page[2] has a number of bibliographies
embedded in it[3], including:

   [A] Documents which cite the current document
   [B] Documents which share citations with the current document
   [C] Documents which are similar based on textual content
   [D] Other documents which are being cited by those citing this
current document (A)
   [E] Citations from the current document, and
   [F] Documents from the same site as the current document

Note that these metadata pages also have ratings (1-5 stars),
summaries, bibTeX entries, and citation statistics.

On the ACM website[4], a given article[5] has a link to 'find similar
articles'[6], which is in essence an annotated bibliography.

It seems that rel (rev being deprecated[7]), with a bit of semantics,
could distinguish the various kinds and instances of citation in a
given document. There seem to be the following:

   [i] works cited
   [ii] works citing
   [iii] works sharing citation
   [iv] works otherwise akin (non-reference-based)

In the case of [D] above, we have a nested relationship of [ii]:[i],
namely the works cited from those works citing this one.