[uf-discuss] Re: [uf-new] Mapping Microformats to RDFa

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Mon Oct 22 06:01:32 PDT 2007

On 10/13/07, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> There is no technical reason RDF couldn't be converted into
> microformats just as easily as microformats are converted into RDF.
> Let's not create political reasons by manufacturing an unnecessary
> tension between the two.

This is an interesting point, one that I largely agree with. The
differences between RDFa and Microformats (note the case) are largely
political in my mind. In the case of RDFa you have a generic syntax
which can be used to mark up metadata using any vocabulary you want to
invent. Whereas to create a Microformat you need the approval of the
Microformat community. This difference sometimes gets cast as
bottom-up vs top-down.

While I like the flexibility of the RDFa I also appreciate the
filtering and quality control that the Microformats process provides.
Hopefully we can live in a world wide web where both can
cross-fertilize and reinforce each other as they appear to be doing
now.

//Ed