[uf-discuss] Citation and alternates-brainstorming

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sat Oct 27 10:49:26 PDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

Alternates was an exploration of a particular pattern that really
hasn't been picked up yet by a uF that's made it all the way through
the process, though I believe will be of some utility in the future --
i.e. kind of the situation we are having with hItem.

I'm not sure what direct utility it would have at the hentry/hfeed
level in hAtom -- nothing in my research suggested people were doing
these sorts of things. Within an entry, it could be used to express
(for example) alternate versions of the same media file in different
formats. In fact, I believe that's how it got started.

Regards, etc...

On 10/26/07, Jeff McNeill <jeff at jeffmcneill.com> wrote:
> Aloha folks,
>
> There hasn't been much lately regarding the 'alternates'
> discussion[1]. It seems that in the HTML spec[2], 'alternate' is meant
> as something the user can choose between, i.e., style sheets[3],
> and/or something the browser can try and render in a given rank order,
> i.e., objects[4]. The suggested use of <ol> for preference and <ul>
> for no preference is clever[1].
>
> (this example modified from the wiki entry[1])
>
> <ol class="alternates">
>   <li><a href="example.mp3" rel="enclosure alternate"
> type="audio/mpeg">MP3</a></li>
>   <li><a href="example.wav" rel="enclosure alternate"
> type="audio/wav">WAV</a></li>
>   <li><a href="example.mov" rel="enclosure alternate"
> type="video/quicktime">MOV</a></li>
> </ol>
>
> Another option may be to try and and bring up alternates to the level
> of each being an hentry of an overall hfeed[5]. While that might
> provide greater facility to allow for various metadata around a given
> alternate (e.g., video vs. audio vs. format size, or even abbreviated
> vs. longer versions of content), the simple uses cases may become a
> bit stretched.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/alternates-brainstorming
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/list.html