[uf-discuss] Re: Standardized Representation of Microformats in JSON / was: (no subject) & hCardMapper v0.96

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Thu Apr 3 02:43:16 PST 2008

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> plus vCard 'X-GENDER' as 'xGender' in jCard.

Does it make sense to carry through that 'x'?

In
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-vcarddav-vcardrev-01#section-5.2.9
 I see:

[[
5.2.9. GENDER

   Purpose:  To specify the gender of the object the vCard represents.

   Value type:  A single text value.

   Special notes:  The value "M" stands for male while "F" stands for
      female.

   Example:

             GENDER:F
]]

FWIW doesn't seem to rule *out* additional values, which makes it
consistent with the FOAF design (although we use 'male' and 'female' as
the two most well-known values for foaf:gender). While out of scope for
this thread, I'm very interested to have collaboration between FOAF and
Microformat approaches on representing gender; both in the vocabulary
sense, but also in making nice accessible form controls that allow
type-in values as well as a constrained list.

list is for discussion of revisions to vCard (RFC 2426) and the cardDAV
protocol draft-daboo-carddav."

cheers,

Dan

--