[uf-discuss] Standardized Representation of Microformats in PHP/other languages

Derrick Lyndon Pallas derrick at pallas.us
Thu Apr 3 17:45:30 PST 2008

Ciaran McNulty wrote:
> I think the point is, services are already providing hCard->JSON conversion and it would be nice if they were all doing it the same way.
>
> As I said at the start of this subject, the idea of talking about a representation in other languages is really a side issue (but there are already existant hCard->PHP services, for instance).
>
> Basically iff we're going to be talking about JSON representations maybe it's good if other languages can benefit from it.

This seems unnecessary, especially for a group that is not a standards
body. If you want to use uf in Javascript or PHP or LOLCODE, parse the
HTML into whatever structure you'd like. If you want to share it, pass
along marked up HTML, directly or as a URI.

Under some circumstances, it might make sense to use an RDF
representation; unlike JSON, that has the benefit that it already has
the syntax to preserve the semantics of ufs. But that still seems like
it's beyond the scope of microformats.org, which is usually positive in
nature. ~D