[uf-discuss] Coding mbox_sha1sum in XFN

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 03:48:08 PDT 2008

Julian Bond wrote:

> I want to be able to say something like:-
> This person with this profile page URL and this mbox_sha1sum is one of
> my contacts.
>
> But I'm not sure how to do it in XFN. Where can I put mbox_sha1sum
> into

For the href attribute, you could use a (non-standard, but frequently
used[1]) SHA1 URN:

	rel="contact">Their Name</a>

It should be supported by most XFN parsers that treat the URL as
basically an opaque identifying string. Any XFN parsers that assume
that the href attribute will be an HTTP URI may have problems, but
that would be their own fault for making such an assumption.

Of course, if you're using it on a web page designed for humans, you
should bear in mind that people clicking on the links might get
confusing error messages if they don't have any program configured to
handle such URIs (and I can't imagine that any such programs exist!),
so it might be inadvisable to use such links on such a web page. One
way of mitigating this problem might be to style these "urn:" links
(using CSS) as if they were plain, non-link text. (Don't forget to
use the CSS "cursor" property to disable the pointing hand cursor.)

____
1. Google for "urn:sha1" (in quotes) returns almost a quarter of a
million results. It's mostly used for P2P, but that shouldn't stop us
re-employing it here.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>