[uf-discuss] hcard: additional additional names

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 02:54:36 PDT 2008

On 13/8/08 10:50, "Brian Suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/13, Michael Smethurst <Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk>:

>>  3. Should I just collapse last_name_prefix and last_name into:
>>  There doesn't seem to be a way of marking up last_name_prefix separately
>
> --- I am assuming you are talking about something like "Ludwig van
> Beethoven" were the second name is "van Beethoven". This will vary by
> cultures, so there is probably no hard-n-fast rules for this... is
> "van" part of the family name or is it additional or is it something
> else completely? what about MacDougal, or O´Reilly? Adding some
> semantics is certainly better than none, and will probably be a
> judgement call on your part. You are correct, with vCard there isn't
> any way to define last_name_prefix.

This gets a bit tricky cos some family name prefixes (Mc, Mac, Fitz, O')
stay attached to the family name when listing alphabetically. So you see:

Macfarren, George
O'Connor, Mark

But some detach:

Beethoven, Ludwig van

In the database I'm working with O' and Mac and etc are part of the family
name but von, van, le are in a separate 'family-name-prefix'

I've had a look around but can't find any label to differentiate between
attached and detached prefixes so for now I'm going with:

<li class="vcard">
</a>
</li>

On listings pages and:

<h1 class="vcard">
</a>
</h1>

On ludwig's page

It means that Ludwig loses his van on operator export but I guess he won't
complain.

Is family-name-prefix a good label here? Can we agree a better one. Realise
this isn't strictly a UF question but maybe a posh one?!?

Further reading here:

http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/pernames.htm (no anchors -
search for surnames with prefix)

http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/entryele.htm