[uf-discuss] NetNewsWire ditches support for microformats

MichaelMD mdagn at spraci.com
Sun Aug 17 04:12:08 PDT 2008

> http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-June/009777.html
>
> But now, turns out that future versions of NNW will no longer support
> microformat detection:
>
> http://microformatique.com/?p=266
> http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3514
>
> Judging from discussions around this decision (on a private mailing
> list), there seems to be little real value from this feature in
> NetNewsWire, a very popular feed reader for the Mac.
>
> On the one hand, it's hard to argue with the detractors who point out
> that there's actually little microformatted content in feeds (NNW only
> detects hcalendar and hcard -- the most widely deployed microformats)
> and that even when such content shows up, adding hcards to your
> address book, or clicking the Add to Calendar button provided by NNW
> is hardly beneficial when feeds that have an iCal equivalent either
> tack it on as an enclosure or link off to a remotely hosted .ics
> file... basically making the embedded hcalendar redundant (though
> arguably still best practice).

but removing it? ...
how about giving the users a choice of whether to use this feature?

btw I've seen a lot more hCalendar items in RSS feeds than I have seen
iCal links in enclosures.

I don't think having to fetch another file for each event just to get
the date of the event is a good solution!

... and what if someone wants to mark up the city/country where the
event is happening? ... in hCalendar it can be done by using
hCard/adr/geo inside "location" but can anything like that be done in
iCal?