[uf-discuss] Problems with rel-license?

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 08:09:33 PDT 2008

Ciaran McNulty wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> <a rel="license" href="http://somewhere.com/licence">Read My Licence</a>
>>
>> This (to me) seems semantically wrong ,  should I be bothered about this?
>>

> I think we Brits should just accept that the uF in question is
> specified in en_us and not worry too much about it.
>
> The idea of internationalising uF fields is too horrific to
> contemplate, after all!
>
> See also text-align: center;

I'm sure a few Brits have been dumbfounded by that one when validating
their css! ;-)

Anyway its not internationalization I have a problem with its the
definition not the two words I have problems with.

1, License is an action by the licensor giving permission to a licensee
either verbally or some other form of communication typically in writing.

2 Licence is the actual document itself demonstrating those permissions
such as a Drivers Licence.

I do think in order for the Licensing
http://microformats.org/wiki/license discussion to progress fully it is
very important to distinguish the difference between the two

Thanks

Martin McEvoy