[uf-discuss] Re: Possible alternative methods for "include"

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 04:05:54 PST 2008

id="ldn">London</span>, including our head office in
<ul>
  <li class="adr #ldn">
  </li>
  <li class="adr #ken #ldn">
  </li>
  <li class="adr #ldn">
  </li>
</ul>

The order of the space-delimited class attributes should be considered
significant -- that is, in <foo class="bar #baz"> the content referred to
by #baz is logically included as the last child of the <foo> element, but
in <foo class="#baz bar">, it is logically included as the first child.

Yes, the hash mark is valid in the class attribute, though rarely used
because it won't work with CSS 1 selectors.

If people can find real-life uses of the hash character in existing sites
that would conflict with this proposed usage pattern, then perhaps another
character could be used. I rather like '@foo', or maybe even a combination
such as '@#foo'.

I shall add to the Wiki momentarily...

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 4 days, 18:02.]

                           Looking Ahead to PHP 6
               http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/01/29/php6/