[uf-discuss] haudio contributor

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Feb 4 08:30:06 PST 2008

Alf Eaton wrote:
> How about this:
> * All "contributors" played a role in the creation of the audio.
> * If there's one or more "creators", those entities played a primary role.

We looked at that approach, and found that we didn't have the examples
to back up the argument that we should make the distinction between
"creator" and "contributor" because there weren't enough examples that
clearly listed anybody other than the creator, and because hCard already
has a "role" field.

If you really want to make the distinction between a publisher, a
drummer, a singer, a technician, and someone else, you can always use an
hCard and utilize the "role" property[1].

> But then I'm struggling to think of actual examples where your rule
> wouldn't be enough (though having to list the main contributor at the
> start of the list might be one problem). It just feels wrong not to be
> able to explicitly mark the primary creator(s) when, as you say,
> sometimes you do want to do just that.

You can do this using "role" in hCard when describing the contributor.
If this doesn't work for you, you can use hCard RDFa which does
differentiate between the primary creator(s) and contributors.

> What if there are two primary creators (composer and performer, say) and
> the rest are just auxiliary contributors?

You could mark up each primary creator's "role" using hCard to describe
each creator. You could not specify the auxiliary contributors' roles,
or you could specify them - it's up to you to determine how specific you
want to be.

Does that work for your needs?

-- manu

[1]http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio#Contributor