[uf-discuss] Apple Data Detectors

Thom Shannon thom at ts0.com
Tue Feb 5 07:47:03 PST 2008

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this before but the new version of Apples
Mail has functionality similar to what microformats is trying to enable
(hCard and hCal)

You can mouse over data in an email like addresses, phone numbers and
dates, then add them to your address book/calendar.
http://www.apple.com/business/videotips/?movie=maildatadetectors

A few things spring to mind:

a) Does it use microformats if they're present? - I just tested it, it
put the postcode in the state field so I guess not

b) Wouldn't it be nice to get hold of their pattern matching code!

c) Interesting how they've done the interface, not too far from some
mock-ups I saw for FF3, what can we learn from it?