[uf-discuss] haudio contributor

Robert O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Wed Feb 6 04:29:12 PST 2008

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Hello Robert

Hi Martin, nice meeting you the other day

> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 18:39 +0000, Robert O'Rourke wrote:
>
>> For cover tracks you'd have something like:

> Here is the best action I have seen using roles, It may be useful to the
> discussion.
>
> from http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-examples-in-wild-reviewed
>

> http://www.iowamilitaryveteransband.com/members/
>
> their roles are the instruments that they play
>
> Roles are *NOT* defined in hAudio as such other than..
>
> "The role attribute SHOULD be used to specify the contributor's
> responsibility related to the audio recording if hCard is utilized"
> http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio#Contributor
>

> the context comes from hcard
>
> "Information regarding the role of the object"
> http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-classes
>
> the "object" in most cases the person.
>
> whats good is, its user defined, we may be able to give sensible hints
> to what you put in there but really it's up to the publisher the choice
> is yours eg: "groupie", or "stage hand" could be fun!.
>
> "original artist", "band", "group", "quartet" are valid roles I would
> say
>
> so are
>
> "vocalist", "bassist", "drummer", "producer", "artist" for individuals
>
> If we had a "hPunchup" microformat you could have a role of "looser" ;)

Ha! and a vevent for every punch. Never thought of marking up a boxing
match until now!

> I AM worried that we should be using "title" instead of "role" in some
> cases...

That depends if you look at a piece of music as having "jobs" associated
with it. Is a piece of music some work that people were employed to
create or only a creative endeavour?. It can be either, but as far as
hAudio is concerned I would say "role" is most appropriate. Thoughts?

> Thanks
>
> Martin McEvoy

Cheers,
Rob