[uf-discuss] haudio contributor

Robert O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Wed Feb 6 07:06:37 PST 2008

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 12:29 +0000, Robert O'Rourke wrote:
>
>> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>>
>>> I AM worried that we should be using "title" instead of "role" in some
>>> cases...
>>>

>> That depends if you look at a piece of music as having "jobs" associated
>> with it. Is a piece of music some work that people were employed to
>> create or only a creative endeavour?.
>>

> In the case of manufactured "bands" I would say that all involved are
> employed and have Job Titles... as do professional musicians maybe.
>

>> It can be either, but as far as
>> hAudio is concerned I would say "role" is most appropriate. Thoughts?
>>

> I agree Roles are more important than their job titles as the two may
> not be related or have any context in the making of a piece of audio.
>
> I think the problem with the above is quite often in audio roles and job
> titles are quite often the same..
>
> Manu explained the differences quite nicley to me..
>
> A role is "what you do", where a title is "what your
> official title is at the organization".

In that case in relation to hAudio "role" is defnitely more appropriate.
Each individual's "title" is an arbritary thing - say when two people
who fulfil the same roles at two different organisations have different
"title"s. Everyone involved with a recording had a "role" to play but
not necessarily an official "title".

As a side note, is "title" only really used if "org" has been indicated?
And are groups/bands considered to be an organisation?

Solo artists wouldn't have any particular "org" except maybe the record
label, in which case their "title" would be Artist. A musician with no
record label or contract has no employer and therefore no official
"title" so the use of "role" would be better suited to the majority of
cases.

> Role is hardly ever used in hcard in the "real world",and as a result
> not much info, I think maybe more information about "role" can be added
> to the hAudio wiki, perhaps even some good recommendations?

That would be good to see, there isn't a whole lot of detail about the
use of role in hcard on the wiki.