[uf-discuss] Major change to microformat specs without prior discussion or notification

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Feb 7 16:11:54 PST 2008

In message <69FE1D70-C3F3-4920-B196-6A91BA7FF683 at randomchaos.com>, Scott
Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> writes

>On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>>> On the topic of whether this should have had wider discussion, I
>>>thought it was well established long ago that the properties of an
>>>AGENT hCard are not inherited by the container hCard, so I don't
>>>see anything really changing here.
>>
>> The change made today does not refer only to Agent; nor even only to
>>hCard.
>
>I don't understand why you think that.  Everything I'm reading on the
>change page you linked seems to be specific to hCards within other
>hCards, and the only relationship defined for such nesting is AGENT.
>I agree major changes should be discussed more than this was, but I
>still don't see how this is a change at all, much less major.

  <http://microformats.org/wiki?title=hcard-parsing&curid=1121&diff=25580&oldid=25563&rcid=39352>

  (aka <http://tinyurl.com/3e358a>)

added:

        Similarly, parsers should treat nested [[hCalendar]],
        [[hReview]], [[hResume]] [[xFolk]] in the same way, properties
        inside them {{must}} only apply to the nested microformat, not
        to the containing microformat.

        All references below to "inside the hCard", "within the contents
        of the hCard", and similar phrasing {{must}} be interpreted with
        taking this nesting rule into account.

--
Andy Mabbett