[uf-discuss] Fragment identifiers in hCard links

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Feb 11 08:21:25 PST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 7:33 AM, Rickards, Julian (NDM) wrote:

> I fixed the page and now it is valid. However, that doesn't change the
> result. Having done a bit of testing, it appears that in the URI link
> where I use a fragment identifier (which would normally use the # as
> in
> index.html#fragment), I have tried both # and %23 (where that comes
> from, I don't know) but neither work properly.

"%23" is the URL encoding of the "#" character.  This character needs
to be encoded to be sent to the server because a plain "#" begins a
fragment identifier, which is handled by the browser after the server
returns a page, so the server never sees it.  Technically everything
in a query string should be URL encoded, but the "#" character is the
only one that really matters.

> Does anyone have any ideas as to how to put multiple hCards on one
> page
> and have individual links download individual vCards to the client's
> address book?

It looks like what you're doing is correct, so I'd suggest waiting for
Brian to comment on why it isn't working with X2V.  It seems to work
on Technorati's version of X2V:

http://technorati.com/contact/http://www.mndm.gov.on.ca/mndm/mines/lands/pro/contact_e.asp%23devosst

Peace,
Scott