[uf-discuss] Include Pattern Update
lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 19:05:29 PST 2008
Following the research we did at Yahoo! last month, I've updated the
include-pattern documentation to clarify, based on evidence, the
accessibility issues raised. I've been through the documentation in
full, and the following summarises the changes for those not wishing
to analyse the Wiki diff.
• Restored requirement for the hyperlink include pattern to include
• Changed the hyperlink pattern example to use hReview, not hResume,
as the requirement for inner-text is not compatible with the needs of
• Added clear accessibility guidance to the hyperlink include pattern
• Clarified the language around use of CSS to improve the user
experience around the include pattern, to make it clearer they are
enhancements. This is a mark-up spec, and cannot depend on CSS.
• Directed scenarios that require content-less includes to the OBJECT
• Removed statements of opinion and discussion. This is supposed to
be documentation for the pattern, it should be concise and precise
and should not contain tangential remarks. In future, areas of
uncertainty should be documented only on the -issues or -feedback
page (http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern-issues and http://
microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern-feedback repsectively). It's
really, really, important that the documentation remains clear.
• Updated the ‘Thanks’ section to acknowledge the work my co-worker
Mike Davies did in researching empty-hyperlink accessibility.
• Added explicit point that other microformat class names on the
include element are discarded, and that all microformat classes
should be on the target of an include, not the include element
itself. Closes Mike Kaply's open issue.
Please not that this update does not in any way concern of reflect
recent discussions about specifying another include pattern (http://
microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern-strawman). This just brings us
up-to-date with current research and knowledge.
More information about the microformats-discuss