[uf-discuss] abbr-design-pattern within microformat attribute values

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Jan 1 18:28:51 PST 2008

[Cross-posted, so original quoted in full]

In message
<21e770780801011625k42e893ffy139fff7f354a0206 at mail.gmail.com>, Brian
Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> writes

>On 01/01/2008, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> In message <W6NPHPDrbleHFwn+ at pigsonthewing.org.uk>, Andy Mabbett
>> <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> writes
>>
>>I have a page at:
>>
>>  <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/bibliography/british-birds/28-345.htm>
>>
>>which uses the prototype "species" microformat.
>>
>>Operator returns for example:
>>
>>        trinominal=Mergus m. merganser
>>
>>from source code:

>>          Mergus
>>          <abbr title="merganser">m.</abbr>
>>          merganser
>>
>>which I would have expected to return:
>>
>>        trinominal=Mergus merganser merganser
>>
>>since that is the "semantic" meaning of the cited source-code.
>>
>>However, I don't think the abbr-design-pattern specification is clear
>>on this point.
>>
>>Am I correct? If so, should the abbr-design-pattern specification be
>>updated, and/or an appropriate example be included?
>>
>>How do other parsers handle embedded abbr, in other microformats,
>such
>>as, say:

>>          New John
>>          <abbr title="Street">St.</abbr>
>>          West
>>
>>(a real example; compare: <http://tinyurl.com/2kcqv2> &
>><http://tinyurl.com/2j9bb9>).

>--- this is more of a question for the dev-list.

OK; cross-posted and follow-ups set. I've shown my whole post, above,
for that reason.

> I would disagree that this is the correct interpretation.

For what reason?

I can't see the logic behind any other interpretation. Consider, with
the " Implied n Optimization" rule in mind, the "given-name" in each of:

        <foo class="fn">
          <abbr title="Fred">F.</abbr> Smith
        </foo>

and

        <foo class="fn">
          <abbr class="given name" title="Fred">F.</abbr>
          <foo class="family-name">Smith</foo>
        </foo>

Surely they should be the same?

Or consider:

        <foo class="fn">
          <abbr title="Fred">F.</abbr> Smith
        </foo>

and:

          <abbr class="fn" title="Fred Smith">F. Smith</abbr>

Again surely these should be equivalent values?

In the "New John Street West" example, where has the valid and
meaningful data "street" gone, if the abbr is not expanded? The author
clearly intends it to be present.

Again, consider:

        <foo class="fn org">
          Saint <abbr title="Philip">Phil</abbr>'s Church
        </foo>

        <foo class="fn org">
          Saint <abbr title="Philomena">Phil</abbr>'s Church
        </foo>

Which of those would the rendered "Saint Phil's Church" represent?

>This has come-up before on the dev-list when dealing with looking into
>child-elements.

Citations/ URLs would be useful, please. There doesn't seem to be any
record or summary on the wiki.

--
Andy Mabbett