[uf-discuss] hCard to represent simple entities (was: Tentativeproposal...)

jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Fri Jan 4 06:32:04 PST 2008

I wrote a long-ish reply to Andy's post, but I think it vanished into the
mysterious SMTP aether. My sincere apologies if this is double-posted.

Re. TEI - it's a markup language used in the humanities to mark up digital
versions of printed material - plays, novels, diaries, letters etc. There's
a really good overview at
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/Oxford/2007-02-13-oucs/talk-overview.xml
There's a crossover with microformats in that TEI has semantics for
describing dates, references to people, places and so on. Also, there's a
lot of discussion surrounding TEI on the semantics of printed prose, and
the practicalities of marking up the semantics of a document.

On the names thing, I suppose I could be tagging something with the name
"John Smith", in which case I'd use rel-tag, or making "John Smith"
available to be downloaded as a vcard, in which case I'd use hcard. The
semantics of "John Smith" haven't changed between those two examples. What
I want to do with the phrase "John Smith" has, so the exact microformat I'd
use depends on what I want to do with the names in the end, more than their
semantics.

In the case of historical documents, more often than not I want to build
indexes to link documents together. So I want to use place names,
references to people, ship names and the names of astronomical objects as
tags. For instance, the links to related people on this letter:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/flinders/DisplayDocument.cfm?ID=110
or the links to '2007 WD5' and 'Shoemaker Levy 9' in this blog post:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/rog/2008/01/will_an_asteroid_hit_mars_in_j.html
Would that be as simple as using something like <a rel="tag" class="fn"> to
indicate that this tag is the name of something? Class makes sense to me,
since we talking about different types of full name here.

By the way, since that Flinders letter is originally encoded in TEI, but
the TEI version is hidden away in a database, it might be useful for
serious researchers if we had a mechanism for preserving those semantics in
the HTML version of the letter. There's some discussion of this question on
Semantic Humanities:
http://semantichumanities.wordpress.com/2006/08/26/when-is-semantic-html-not
-important/

Jim