[uf-discuss] Hcard - marking up sms short codes

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Jan 8 23:45:39 PST 2008

In message
<2e95f9b80801081826x5c89145agac4498f5f261421c at mail.gmail.com>, Philip
Tellis <philip.tellis at gmail.com> writes

>On 08/01/2008, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps, but I'd slice it three ways and add more:
>>
>>    service:
>>
>>         voice, sms, fax, data, textphone, freephone
>>
>>    connection:
>>
>>         landline, mobile
>
>I'm not sure I'd bother distinguishing between landline and mobile, for
>the same reasons that you mentioned.

While I'm aware that we're discussing possible changes to vcard, rather
than ways of using the current hCard, I think this is a case where
looking at what people actually publish (and allow for in forms) on the
web; and what address-book apps allow for, would be useful (even is a
revision to vCard, or changing user behaviour, ultimately causes changes
in the latter)

Is suspect that many people currently publish both "phone" and "mobile"
numbers'; and that a good many apps have a similar binary
classification.

Outlook 2002 has a range of options, but these include home, office
*and* mobile (with the obvious implication that the first two are
land-lines).

Two more things to bear in mind; some people's mobile phones support
mutimedia messaging (MMS) and/or Push-to-talk (PTT), others do not; and
all these distinctions may disappear, and others emerge, in the next -
say - ten or twenty years.

--
Andy Mabbett