[uf-discuss] Icons of MF wiki

Alex Faaborg faaborg at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 10 08:48:20 PST 2008

All of the icons coming out of mozilla are likely going to be full
public domain, since CC attribution licenses are not compatible with
the mozilla.org license policy.  Also, we want to reduce any possible
barriers to entry for using the icons for basic types of information
(similar to what happened with RSS).

Unfortunately it might be awhile before we begin releasing microformat
icons into the public domain.  In order to maintain the current ship
schedule for Firefox 3, we won't be exposing microformatted content in
the user interface.  We will however still ship with the microformats
API implemented by Mike Kaply (of Operator fame), so it will be
considerably easier for Firefox extensions to experiment and innovate
with microformats.  The API that Mike landed for Firefox 3 also means
that we will only need to worry about finishing front end changes for
getting microformat support into the next release.  We tend to release
new versions of Firefox pretty regularly, so while I'm personally
disappointed that Firefox 3 won't have native support in the interface
for detecting microformats, the next release isn't too far over the
horizon.

-Alex