[uf-discuss] hCards for places

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 17:10:10 PST 2008

In message
<21e770780801101514x47ae185cl4703292c90d91ad9 at mail.gmail.com>, Brian
Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> writes

>On 09/01/2008, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> If there are any objections, please say to which of the above points you
>> object, and whether you have a preferred alternative, or object in
>> principle.
>
>--- i have updated my code locally and it seems to work correctly.

Thank you. That's good to know, though not unexpected.

>I think we might be taking a backwards approach in editing the spec.
>Instead of defining a whole new sort of rule or short-cut, what we are
>really just doing is creating an exception when you follow the implied-
>n. The implied-n is triggered when there is no N. All i did is add an
>additional "AND FN is not on any ADR elements (or LABEL)". So the
>implied-n template is not called when FN is labeling a place.I think it
>is simple as that.

As I took pains to indicate in my proposal (items as numbered):

   *    The spec should be updated to reflect the change you describe
        (item 3).

   *    Implied-nickname is equally affected (item 4). For example, in:

           <foo class="fn locality">Birmingham</foo>

        "Birmingham" is not a nickname.

   *    The current "Organization Contact Info" section:

          <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Organization_Contact_Info>

        says that it us used "for a company, organization or place".
        This proposal would require that section to be changed (item 1).

   *    The existence of the aforesaid "Organization Contact Info"
        section implies that a matching "Place information" section is
        equally required, not least for consistency (item 2).

--
Andy Mabbett