[uf-discuss] xfn and biographies

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Jan 21 15:17:15 PST 2008

In message <DDBEAB3D-2322-457F-8473-31D313D07C75 at eatyourgreens.org.uk>,
Jim O'Donnell <jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk> writes

>Does anyone have any thoughts on using xfn (or some variant thereof)
>to add machine-readable relationships to published biographies? Or in
>general, to express the relationships that exist within the network  of
>people associated with an archive of published writing?

Yes; this has been discussed in relation to genealogy on wiki:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/genealogy>

and mailing list.

> A specific  example is the link from
>http://www.nmm.ac.uk/flinders/ListPeople.cfm?ID=41
>to http://www.nmm.ac.uk/flinders/ListPeople.cfm?ID=96 (near the end  of
>the biography) where I could potentially mark that Ann is the  daughter
>of Matthew.

Presently; you can't. You can only express that she is his child,
because XFN (like hCard, which you might also use to convey data about
Ann and Matthew) has no expressions of gender.

See also:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/gender>

--
Andy Mabbett