[uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format

Breton Slivka zen at zenpsycho.com
Wed Jul 2 19:04:44 PDT 2008

This is not internationalization of metadata, this is
internationalization of Data, as in Content. We are talking about a
date format that will be read out to users not just in the US, but
potentially anywhere in the world. I honestly believe the "bloat" to
parsers would be significant. Particularly if our precious parser
authors are not incompetant, and we hope they are not. Please note
that many programs (Excel is one example off the top of my head)
provides exactly this type date parsing dependant on locale. Many more
programs and operating systems provide services for the generation of
Locale specific dates. The ecmascript standard includes such a
facility for both generation, and parsing of locale specific dates.
Ecmascript parsers must be light enough to work on a mobile device
with a browser.

I hope I have been persuasive in demonstrating that more sophisticated
parsers will be necessary if we are to satisfy the "No Information
Hiding" and "Humans First, Machines Second" principles of the
microformat community. I find it frustrating that we still have people
being sensitive about the bloat.

I offer the challenge to those developers: If you sincerely believe
that simple internationalized date parsing is an unsolvable or
difficult problem (which, as I have pointed out has been solved
numerous times already, with two examples), please present your
evidence. Why is avoiding this work more important than Accessibility?
Why is avoiding this work more important than avoiding hidden
metadata?