[uf-discuss] Current state of grouping proposal

Xavier Badosa xbadosa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 01:09:31 PDT 2008

> I think the grouping mechanism can be accomplished with XOXO,

XOXO as it is now (or as I understand it) is based on list elements
(ol ul dl), and these are not suited for "grouping" purposes, not in
my sense at least: maybe I should say "classing" instead of "grouping"
because in my meaning the idea of inheritance is important.

List elements don't allow to associate data to the group itself. In my
previous example,

>>   <h1 class="item"><a href="IMDB_URI" class="fn url">The Godfather
>>   II</a></h1> <div class="hreview">
>>      girl</em></p>

"item" is associated with the group ("hset"), telling implicitly the
machine that it must be replicated for every member ("hreview") of the
"group" (or "class"). It's a sort of include-pattern mechanism that
happens to follow the principle of adapting to current behaviors in
the publication of reviews on webpages. I think you can't do that with
XOXO.

X.