[uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format

Guillaume Lebleu guillaume at lebleu.org
Thu Jul 3 09:54:51 PDT 2008

Bob Jonkman wrote:
>      <abbr title="July 3rd, 2008">
>        tomorrow
>      </abbr>
Bob, assuming that screen readers only read out the content of abbr's
@title, this solution looks promising (I've tried with VoiceOver, but
the title content is ignored.)

The only problem of course is for human content authors who are
effectively asked to write the same information 3 times in 3 different
formats (not very DRY)! I just don't see myself doing that manually. For
this to work, I'd expect at least an extra button in my HTML editor to
tag "tomorrow" as 2008-07-23 by selecting a date in a calendar widget,
or better, for my HTML editor to detect some of these date shortcuts
automatically for me, and suggest machine data for them, which I can
confirm before publishing, something similar to [1]. It seems to me that
it would be a practical way to distribute the CPU-intensive task of
semantically tagging Web content [3].

BTW, on the use of abbr for dates, I've researched a number of style
guides such as [2]. It seems that "2/03/2005" is legitimate as an
abbreviated form of the inline format "February 3, 2005".

So, <abbr title="February 3, 2005">2/03/2005</abbr> seems correct, but
<abbr title="2005-02-03">February 3, 2005</abbr> isn't (at least
according to the style guide below).

Guillaume

[1] http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/yahoo-shortcuts/
[2] http://web.mit.edu/comdor/editguide/style-matters/date_time.html#dates