[uf-discuss] Wiki Documentation of recent date-time discussion

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 06:22:08 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Recently discussion of solutions to the datetime issues has been
massive and become difficult to track the current state of issues and
counterpoints as threads have become interleaved.

I have *attempted* to document the most recent points on the wiki,
under the following pages:

   * http://microformats.org/wiki/datetime-design-pattern (most stuff)
   * http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-issues#2008 (for the HTML5
<time> element)
   * http://microformats.org/wiki/value-excerption-pattern-issues

I've credited the points added with the name of the post author. If
you feel the part I've quoted doesn't fully represent your view,
please edit it. I've done the best I can, but these threads have
become very difficult to follow so I sincerely apologise if I've
missed something, or lost track of something.

If a point is missing from the wiki threads, please add them so we
have a reference.

Ideally, wiki discussion should not be a carbon copy of the mailing
list logs. They should be a concise representation of issues, and each
issue and its counterpoints should of course only be listed once. It's
a reference. Someone new to discussions should be able to read the
wiki and be up to speed on what is currently being discussed on other
mediums in the community.

My edits today don't achieve that in the optimal way; they're largely
quotes. It's better than no documentation at all, though.

Something which didn't really happen this week was follow up in
documenting the key points of discussion on the wiki. When you are an
advocate of a particular solution, please take the responsibility to
make sure issues raised against it and the resolutions are accurately
documented. Otherwise suggestions will be lost without documentation
and inevitably repeated without reference.

Thank you,

Ben