[uf-discuss] Microformats search engine: virel

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 11:56:28 PDT 2008

... This is about unearthing information we already publish and
>> make easier to access and re-use it, which is the opposite of
>> obfuscating.
>>

> OK, so there's an implicit challenge here. For users who are unwilling to
> expose their email address through hCard, what alternative mechanisms can
> microformats support? Many website owners use mail forms instead of
> publishing their email addresses. Is there a need for something like a
> simple 'rel=contactform' microformat to signal the availability and
> location of a mail contact form?
>
> Angus

Again: we are marking up content that is already published. If that
person is taking steps to prevent the email or contact form to the
available there is nothing microformats (or well, hcard for email) can
do for that person.

I love people that use email forms to make sure spammers can't get their
mails, especially those that don't protect their forms against XSS and
SQL injection and thus become a spam hub themselves :)

Microformats are nothing that needs to be "sold". A person that is
unhappy to disclose information on the web will certainly not get them
anyways.