[uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format

Martin McEvoy martin.mcevoy at contentstate.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 17:26:11 PDT 2008

Hello Ben

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 17:42 +0100, Ben Ward wrote:
> At the core, in breaking with the semantics of an HTML element,
> we've
> broken the behaviour of technologies using the element correctly and
> intelligently (hence my strong opposition to continuing to stretch
> ABBR outside of textual abbreviations as commonly described by
> dictionaries: ‘An abbreviation is a shortened form of a word or
> phrase.’ — Wikipedia, Apple OSX Dictionary, Dictionary.com)

I dont believe that *2008-07-11T00:01+0100* belongs anywhere where a
human can read it, the only place I have found where this data sits
nicely is either stuffed in the head of a document or in a class.

I have been "playing around" with the various solutions proposed on both
this and uf-dev over the past few weeks, none of which turned out too
good when it came to parsing (for me).

anyway I tried something different by just re-using existing
microformats "item" and "value"...

There are a few more examples of how Item and Value work together in a
demo available here:

http://weborganics.co.uk/demo/machine-and-human-readable-data-format.html

It seems workable to me, but I guess that will be up to the rest of the community ;)

Thanks

--
Martin McEvoy <martin.mcevoy at contentstate.co.uk>
ContentState <http://contentstate.co.uk/>